On May 28th, Gov. Inslee released Proclamation 20-57, “Concerning the Health of Agricultural Workers” that provides required protections that must be in place by June 4. A full detail of requirements can be found at: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/COVID19AgriculturalSafetyPlan.pdf.
There are several requirements detailed such as,
- Mandated employee training, with key content that must be addressed through educational materials and training
- Cloth facial coverings must be worn by every employee not working alone on the jobsite
- Employers, operators, and providers must supply, at no cost to employees, all PPE mandated by these requirements, including gloves, goggles, face shields, and face masks. PPE must be clean and available each workday.
- Required temperature check and symptom review at the beginning of each shift
- Required disinfection of high touch surfaces at start of work, before and after morning break, lunch, and afternoon break
- Requirement to document and maintain a COVID-19 Response Plan
- For outdoor worksites, handwashing stations must be placed within 110 yards of employees at all times (this requirement is typically ¼ mi for GAP audit purposes)
- For indoor worksites, employers are required to implement a physical distancing plan
It is important that producers read the full list of requirements as this list is not all-inclusive.
L&I encourages growers/operators to use their consultation services to help address any questions they have with the new requirements.